A few years back, I wrote a post about the 5 open-source programs you can’t live without. As 2010 is now upon us, it’s time to update the list.
1. Firewall: You can’t live without a firewall, and I’ve been using two. Comodo Firewall is excellent and has an interface that is good for intermediate and advanced users. Comodo is a bit to complex for beginning users. Note that when you download Comodo it will download both the firewall and the antivirus. Make sure that when you install the program, you elect to install the antivirus only.
For beginners, I still recommend ZoneAlarm’s free firewall. It’s easy to configure and easy to use.
2. Antivirus – I did use Comodo’s antivirus that comes packaged with Comodo firewall as Comodo Internet Security, but recently I’ve switched to Avira free antivirus. I don’t like that it pops up when you update, but the program did receive great reviews.
3. Anti-Spyware – I currently use two programs. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and SuperAntiSpyware. Both programs also have paid version that give you more features, but having the two gives nice double-coverage for your machine.
4. FTP – Filezilla – I’ve used a lot of FTP clients and FileZilla is tops.
5. Browser – I primarily use Firefox, but Opera is a close second. I like running two browsers and I find Opera very similar to Firefox, and easy to use.
What are your thoughts? Do you agree or disagree? In Part II I’ll keep the list going.